New & Improved

Melody 2012

Pretty Lady - Last night I put together a frame made from simple pre-cut matte, a clear acetate sheet, and matte board cut to size for backing to showcase this pencil sketch. For less than $10 the sketch is protected and looks so much classier than a loose piece of paper. I posted an earlier version of this sketch the other day (see here). At that point I'd stepped back from this drawing for a little while while working on other things. I discovered two things upon finishing it this week.

1 - Tools make all the difference - It had been so long since I sketched something that required this level of detail, I'd forgotten how much proper paraphernalia matters. I completed the Eric 2011 sketch and the majority of this one with only a mechanical .7mm pencil. I didn't have the proper eraser either, but struggled through illustrating like that, kind of oblivious to an easier way. Between then and now I bought a 12 pencil set, rubber eraser, kneadable eraser & good sharpener.  The new tools made me eager to complete this sketch and start another one. Investigating different brands and types of equipment is inspiring and worth the investment.

2 - I wasn't feeling this piece when I set it aside for a few weeks. Putting it on the back burner turned out to be the best thing I could have done. Returning to it didn't feel like a chore, but something I looked forward to & by picking it up with fresh eyes I was able to see what areas needed the most work right away, and therefore finished it quickly & confidently.

Posted in , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

All works ©Desiree LaBine 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.